How to wash your car like a pro
May 24 2018
There's more to a professional-grade car wash than the basic wash and dry. To clean and protect vehicles, pro detailers use specific types of products in a certain order -- a method worth trying for yourself. Here are some tips to help you get a next-level shine at home.
Steps for Washing
- Wash the wheels and tires first. Use a dedicated wheel cleaner and scrub with a brush before rinsing.
- Rinse the rest of the car from the top down. Any debris that collects around the wipers or hood should be removed by hand.
- Apply a dedicated car washing soap (dish detergents are too abrasive) using a microfiber washing mitt to pick up dirt.
- Keep two buckets handy, one for soapy water and another for rinsing the mitt.
- Be sure to remove stains, such as bird droppings or tree sap, as these buildups can damage the paint over time.
Rinsing the Car Thoroughly
Dry the vehicle with a cloth to avoid water spots. Microfiber detailing towels can be used to get into the tiny cracks and crevices.
Polishing the Vehicle
Use a clay bar treatment and lubricant to remove embedded contaminants. Then, use a buffing liquid to polish the surface. Working in small sections, rub in circular motions. Apply more polish as needed to make sure that your buffing cloth doesn't dry out. Finally, wipe the car clean with a microfiber towel.
Cleaning the Carpets
Start by vacuuming thoroughly. If there are any stains, use a carpet shampoo to remove them. After scrubbing, sop up extra moisture with a towel and air dry thoroughly; then vacuum a second time.
Additionally, you can wipe down the interior to remove dust and window smudges. That's how to wash your car like a pro.